Intro (Plus) Ride Summary
The Intro and Intro Plus rides are intended as a NO DROP entry level rides for cyclists who would like to learn the skill of group riding. These rides are fortnightly, for exact dates, see the table at the bottom of the page.
The Intro Ride is aimed at riders who wish to develop their group riding skills on a shorter, steadier ride before joining the Intro Plus ride, explained below, the longer Sunday club runs or faster mid-week chain-gang rides. The ride finishes at the Exeter Cycles Cafe on the quay, so remember to bring some change for tea and cake.
The intro ride is 33 miles (click here to see the route). The average speed for both the Intro and the Intro+ will vary, according to conditions, but is usually between 14 and 16 mph. Riding in a group is more efficient so if you can currently ride 25 – 30 miles solo at 13 – 15 mph then you will have no problem with these rides.
If you are joining us on any ride we ask you to bring the following:
- Road bike in good condition
- (Full) Water bottles
- Food (banana, cereal bar etc.)
- Pump and spare inner tube
- Mud guards in wet weather (or when there was wet weather the day(s) before as the lanes are likely to be muddy)
Existing club members are welcome, and encouraged, to join in these rides and pass on their knowledge and experience of riding to newcomers.
Intro Ride Plus
We run Intro Rides Plus on the alternating Saturdays between the fortnightly Intro Rides. The three routes for these IR+ are slightly longer and hillier than the Intro Ride route, using some roads which are less suited to good group riding skills, which can be more testing on fitness. If you find the Intro Rides easily manageable, but don’t yet feel ready for Sunday club runs (about 50-70 miles at a minimum speed of 16 mph), then these should suit. The group(s) will wait at the top of significant climbs to make sure everyone is back together again. The three tested routes are:
The choice of route will depend on the riders present and conditions on the day: the Whiddon Down route uses one lane that can be muddy in wet weather, and has two or three harder climbs.
- Only EWCC members or guest riders with ‘pending’ status are allowed to join the introductory rides.
- Interested riders must respond to the facebook announcement for the intro ride they would like to join to enable us to balance numbers of new and experienced riders in advance.
- Riders will meet just before 8 am at the Devon County Council car park (off Topsham Road) to enable sufficient space for socially distanced group coordination.
- Riders are keeping 1 meter distance between each other at all times (while stopping and riding).
- Riders will form groups of no more than 6 people (of similar ability wherever possible).
- Before setting off, 1 member of the group MUST fill in the club’s online registration form to provide contact details of all group members (name, contact number & postcode) to enable track and trace if required up to 3 weeks after ride).
- We allow time gaps between groups of at least 3 minutes to allow traffic to overtake easily and safely.
- All groups are riding at a pace that enables them to stay together with a supportive no-drop attitude.
- Groups will be riding in formation (two-abreast), singling out as necessary.
Upcoming Intro (Plus) Ride Dates
Please check our Facebook Page on the morning of the ride to confirm whtheer the ride is going ahead!
We do ask that before joining an Exeter Wheelers ride you read our guide to group riding and etiquette.
|Intro Ride||Intro Plus Ride
|19/09/2020||not currently running|
Please note, as an amateur club run by volunteers it is not always possible to check and answer emails on a daily basis. Don’t worry if it takes a couple of days to get a reply!
Please note, all riders who attend an Exeter Wheelers club ride do so at their own risk.